and we don’t just mean the man! Shopping for your dream wedding dress can be emotional and stressful. Take a deep breath and go in with an open mind. The right one will come along and we promise you’ll feel more beautiful on your big day than ever imagined. Take into account these few wedding dress shopping tips before heading out on the hunt:
1. Have a Price In Mind; Go into your salon appointments with realistic expectations. Don’t put yourself in a situation to fall in love with a dress you know is too far out of your budget. The right one will come along so stick to your means and keep looking.
2. Listen To the Salon’s Recommendations; Have an open mind! What you had pictured in your head, may not be the best fit for you body type. Listen to your stylist suggestions – they know a little more than you think!
3. Sit, Move and Dance; You have to be comfortable on your wedding day. You are going to be sitting, dancing and a lot of moving around. Make sure you have no restraints in your dress during your fitting. You don’t want to have to worry about being uncomfortable throughout the night, none the less not be able to enjoy the party!
4. Be Selective With Who You Bring Along; Yes, dress fittings are extremely exciting and sometimes we may get caught up in having everyone join in on the action. However, the more people you bring along, the more opinions you are going to have. Be selective in who you ask to join. Invite people you trust and respect. Remember, at the end of the day, you are the only one wearing the gown.
5. Trust Your Instincts; Cliche? Not at all! It’s true – when you know, you know. Trust your instincts. Go with the one that when you put it on, all of your inner little girl wedding dreams come true!
So, you’ve decided to get hitched in the District? We’re glad you love DC as much as we do! Be inspired by all things local and incorporate a touch of the city into your wedding. By adding this extra flare you help make your out of town guests feel more at home and give everyone a little taste of what this fabulous city has to offer. We bring you a few ideas, but the list goes on!
- Calligraphic transportation map of DC highlighted with all of your “go-to” spots
- Welcome bags with a few of your local must-haves: Beer from DC Brau, Georgetown Cupcakes, Pie Pops from Pie Sisters and a Metro Card
- DC themed to-go favors at the end of the night; a sweet treat or a savory bite
We understand, trust us! As planners, we know how much stress you are going through. After all, it’s a big part of our job to tame the emotional roller coaster and establish a partnership that allows you to be calm and enjoy the entire planning process.
Planning is all about communication. Thankfully for all of us, communicating has never been easier than it is today. That being said, in today’s always-on society, it is far too easy to get a bit carried away or to let anxiety consume you. Below, we have identified some helpful tips that should lead to a much more fluid process in terms of both execution and emotional stability. Enjoy!
1. Spur of the moment ideas and questions happen to us all; so does forgetting them. As planners, we totally get the stream-of-consciousness, one-liner emails. However, being on the receiving end of them can be tough. That’s why, instead of firing them all off individually with little to no overall detail, create a Draft and slowly add to it until you’ve established multiple points that need to be addressed. Less is more when it comes to the quantity of emails, not the quality. Spend some time with your thoughts, and we will handle the rest.
2. It is important to include your significant other in the planning process. It is simply too much for you to keep to yourself. Surprise elements are great, but your partner should never feel like they are a guest at your wedding. Why wait until after the wedding for the partnership and decision making process to blossom? 3. Drama is all consuming. Avoid it at all costs. your Kleenex budget will thank you later. 4. Take breaks. Enjoy your engagement period. If you get started early enough and trust your planner, there will be plenty of time to take a step back and be a couple again, instead of simply playing host. Refocus on why this day is so important as often as you can. 5. Stress affects us all. But it doesn’t have to affect your relationship. Deep breathes are worth their weight in diamonds. So are smiles, gazes and naps on the couch. Enjoy them during this time just like you did when you were busy deciding this person is the one for you. 6. Emotions are contagious. Everyone smiles for the couple on their wedding day because the love is evident. Make it crystal clear to your family and wedding party that you are happy and appreciative of their support. Your time spent together during the process will thank you later. 7. Planners and vendors want to love their jobs. And you are the biggest part of their job. Create a bond together. It might just be the most personal day of your life. Why keep your planner and vendors on the outside looking in? Share your life with them. You’ll see it shine through in every aspect of your wedding weekend. Now, can you avoid getting completely stressed? I’m not quite sure that’s possible. How could it be with the thought of all of your family in one room, and that’s on top of taking care of the needs of 150+ guests, bridesmaids, groomsmen. And that’s just thinking about everyone else! You could be moving, busy getting in the best shape of your life, etc… But if you trust us and allow us to coach you through the planning process, it could all be as easy as your decision to say YES!
Every couples worst nightmare is when they click the 10 day forecast and see that rain, snow or wind icon next to their weather report on the weekend of their wedding. Not to worry, we have just the thing you need to better prepare.
AccuWeather’s MinuteCast, available on the Web and via a Mobile device, is the only forecasting solution on the market that gives brides by-the-minute precipitation forecasts for the next two hours, specific to their exact street address. It’s never been easier to pinpoint the exact moment that it will start raining, giving brides, wedding planners, caterers, and the wedding party the ability to act fast and be prepared. No one can control mother nature, but at least we can better prepare for her. Download the APP to be in the know with serve weather push alerts, descriptive weather animation and easy to read icons that can better explain what it coming your way. Soon on the DWblog will will be teaching out how to format a plan B for that big day!
Download AccuWeather – Weather for Life today for free and experience the Superior Accuracy™ that comes from high-quality weather forecasting.
Calling all newlyweds! Exclusively Entertainment, a full-service company specializing in entertainment, lighting, and cinematography will be hosting an evening filled with some of our favorite DC wedding vendors (including two of our District Favorites, Hitched and Bridal Hair by Remona) on Thursday, September 18th from 5-9PM at their headquarters in Potomac, Maryland. You will be able to mingle with event professionals over hors d’oeurves and champagne while having all of your wedding questions answered. Book with as little or as many of the vendors as you wish, or just simply enjoy an evening indulged in all things wedding! Visit The Wedding Ring or their Facebook Fan Page for more details!